July 24, 2023, 3:00 a.m. ET
The summer transfer window is now open in Europe, and there is a lot of gossip going around. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz about rumours, comings, goings and, of course, closed deals!
MAIN STORY: Man Utd to get Højlund moving
Manchester United to make their first bid for Atalanta striker Rasmus Højlund amid interest from Paris Saint-Germain, reveal Fabrizio Romano.
The 20-year-old Denmark international enjoyed a stellar 2022-23 season with the Italian side, scoring 16 goals in all competitions, as well as netting his first international goal in March, attracting interest from across Europe in the process.
Manchester United have been heavily linked with a forward in recent weeks as the Red Devils look to add a first-team striker to their ranks ahead of next season. United have reportedly shown interest in Napoli’s Victor Osimhen and Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane this summer; however, Højlund represents a slightly cheaper option for the Premier League giants.
Romano indicated that United had agreed personal terms with Højlund, who wants to join Erik ten Hag’s side, despite PSG’s interest. A formal offer is expected to follow next week as United seek to avoid PSG hijacking any deal.
Les Parisiens have also been linked with several high-profile strikers this summer, as the Ligue 1 champions look to replace Lionel Messi, who has joined Inter Miami CF, and look to replace Kylian Mbappe, who missed their pre-season tour of Japan.
– Streaming on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga & more (US)
– Read on ESPN+: Explains transfer window language
PAPER GOSPEL (by Rajan Hothi)
– Barcelona midfielder Franck Kessie is attracting attention from Juventus as the Catalan giants want to offload the midfielder, report Rudy Galletti. Barcelona are looking to part ways with some of the fringe players this summer as they look to balance the books; however, the tweet reveals that the 26-year-old is eager to stay with the LaLiga champions and prove his worth to manager Xavi Hernández.
– West Ham United are confident they can land Ajax Amsterdam midfielder Edson Alvarez for £35-40m this summer, according to Football Insider. Following Declan Rice’s move to Arsenal, the Hammers have identified potential replacements for their former captain, with Alvarez emerging as a potential target. The report indicates that the 25-year-old is interested in a move to the Premier League; however, West Ham are expected to face competition from Borussia Dortmund, who have previously shown interest in the Mexican playmaker.
– Brentford have joined Besiktas and clubs in Saudi Arabia in the race for midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, according to reports Glass. The 29-year-old is a free agent after being released from Liverpool at the end of the season, with reports suggesting Brentford would be willing to give the England international a one-year contract to revive his career. However, it is also reported that Besiktas will make the midfielder their highest-paid player, with interest from Saudi Arabia also being considered by Oxlade-Chamberlain.
– Wolverhampton Wanderers eyeing Fluminense midfielder Andre, with clubs in Italy and France also interested, says Ekrem Konur. Wolves are in the market for midfield reinforcements, having seen Ruben Neves depart for Al Hilal, leaving the Premier League side short of quality midfield options. The 22-year-old Brazilian was previously linked with a move to Liverpool, as clubs in Europe monitored the playmaker’s situation.
– Al Ahli have cooled their interest in Bayern Munich winger Sadio Mane, according to Rudy Galletti. Having struck a deal for Newcastle United star Allan Saint-Maximin, the Saudi club have dropped their interest in Mane, who is open to parting ways with Bayern this summer following a disappointing season in Germany. Al Nassr are reportedly still interested in the 31-year-old Senegal international, with negotiations continuing, despite Mane’s high demands.