July 17, 2023, 6:01 a.m. ETKhvicha Kvaratskhelia is one of the finest young talents in Europe, and has strong interest from Newcastle United in the Premier League. Giuseppe Maffia/NurPhoto via Getty Images
The summer transfer window is now open in Europe, and there is a lot of gossip going around. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz about rumours, comings, goings and, of course, closed deals!
TOP STORY: Newcastle approach Kvaratskhelia
Newcastle United have made a €100 million ($107 million) bid to sign Napoli winger Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, according to the Corriere dello Sport.
Kvaratskhelia, 22, was a standout performer for the Gli Azzurri last season. He contributed to 22 goals in 34 league games to help his team win the Scudetto, and it is reported that Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City are among the clubs in Europe interested in his services.
However, after the Magpies acquired Serie A midfielder Sandro Tonali from AC Milan for €64 million, it appears the Saudi-backed Premier League club are now interested in landing another player from Italy’s top flight.
Newcastle have already prepared a second bid if their opening proposal is rejected.
Kvaratskhelia has four years left on his contract, having joined Napoli last summer from Dinamo Batumi for €12 million on a deal until 2027, but the Italian side are trying to get the Georgia international to sign a new contract.
– Streaming on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, more (US)
11.01 BST: Bayern Munich midfielder Leon Goretzka could leave the club this summer, according to German sky.
Goretzka, 28, will be moved on by new Bayern boss Thomas Tuchel this summer for a fee of around €45 million, with Joshua Kimmich and Konrad Laimer his preferred duo in midfield.
Man United are reportedly interested and can sign Goretzka as a replacement for Scott McTominay or Fred.
10.22 WIB: Inter Milan turned their attention to signing Arsenal and USMNT striker Folarin Balogun, says Gazzetta dello Sport.
Balogun, 22, scored 22 goals for Reims on loan at the Ligue 1 side last season but is not ready for another temporary move. He featured in Arsenal’s pre-season friendly against Nuremberg and is on the club’s summer tour of the US, but has Eddie Nketiah and Gabriel Jesus ahead of him in the pecking order.
AC Milan, Marseille, Monaco and RB Leipzig have all expressed their interest in signing Balogun, who Arsenal value at €55 million, but Inter are keen after failing to agree another move for Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea amid interest from Juventus.
09.44 WIB: Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips is a target for Liverpool, according to Sky Sports.
Phillips, 27, is yet to settle down at City after moving for £45m from Leeds United in 2022 and made just 21 appearances in all competitions as Pep Guardiola’s side won the treble last term.
Liverpool need to sign at least one new midfielder as Jordan Henderson and Fabinho are considering lucrative transfers to Saudi Arabia.
England international Phillips is on the list, while the report adds that Bayern Munich star Ryan Gravenberch and Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat are also being tracked.
09.02 WIB: ICYMI – Dutch midfielder Xavi Simons has left PSV Eindhoven to complete a move back to Paris Saint-Germain, the Eredivisie club announced on Sunday.
The former Barcelona academy player joined PSV on a five-year deal from PSG last summer after his contract expired.
Sources have told ESPN that the deal to return to PSG includes a €12m re-signing clause.
“Xavi Simons has immediately left training camp to complete his transfer with Paris St Germain,” PSV said in a statement.
0841 CET: Chelsea have completed the signing of Brazilian teenager Angelo Gabriel from Santos as new manager Mauricio Pochettino looks to add a talented young player to his squad.
The 18-year-old winger, who became the youngest player in the history of the Brazilian national championship when he made his senior debut at the age of 15 years and 308 days, made 129 first-team appearances for Santos.
Gabriel’s fee and the length of his contract have not been confirmed, although reports suggest he has cost the Premier League club around £13m.
0830 CET: Manchester United have agreed a deal with Inter to sign goalkeeper Andre Onana, sources tell ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
The Cameroon international will undergo a medical before completing his €50 million move to Old Trafford.
United are hoping Onana, who will replace David De Gea as the club’s number 1, will be available to travel with the squad for a pre-season tour of the United States, which begins with a stop in New York this week.
Sources have told ESPN that once Onana is officially a United player, Dean Henderson will be given permission to join Nottingham Forest on a permanent basis.
Laurens: Declan Rice took Arsenal to the next level
Julien Laurens explains why Declan Rice is Mikel Arteta’s #1 transfer target this summer.
– Aston Villa have identified Stade Rennais winger Jeremy Doku as a potential alternative if they do not sign Moussa Diaby from Bayer Leverkusen, wrote Fabrizio Romano. Villa saw their €35 million bid to sign Diaby rejected recently, and they could soon turn their attention to 21-year-old Doku, who contributed eight goals in 28 Ligue 1 appearances last season.
– Newcastle aim to offload Allan Saint-Maximin to help them sign Leicester City winger Harvey Barnes, report TalkSPORT. Saudi Pro League club Al Ahli have reportedly started initial talks to sign the 26-year-old, while the Magpies will have to pay £35 million if they are to sign Barnes. Saint-Maximin has also been linked with AC Milan.
– Internazionale ready to sign full-back Juan Cuadrado on a free transfer, said Gianluca Di Marzio. The 35-year-old has agreed a one-year contract with the Nerazzurri, moving from Juventus after his contract expired last month. He made 41 appearances in all competitions last term, scoring five goals.
– There is growing optimism from Al Ahli in their pursuit of Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez, reports CBS journalist Ben Jacobs. A deal in the region of £30m is believed to have been agreed, with the Saudi Pro League already arranging a medical for the 32-year-old. Mahrez made 30 appearances in the Premier League last season, contributing 15 goals in the process.
– Talks will start between Bayern Munich and Manchester City regarding a move for defender Kyle Walker, reported Florian Plettenberg of Sky Sports Deutschland. Walker, 33, is said to have agreed personal terms with the Bundesliga champions and a €15 million bid would be enough to convince City to part ways with him.