World News

Hampshire, IL fires: 2 hospitalized after propane grill sparked at Kane County home

By ABC7 Chicago Digital Team

Tuesday, July 25 2023 03.44

2 was hospitalized after a grill fire at his Kane County home

HAMPSHIRE, Ill. (WLS) — One civilian and one police officer were hospitalized after a propane grill caused a large fire at a Kane County home Monday.

Hampshire firefighters said they were called to a house in the 800 Elm Street block Monday just after 4pm to a grill that caught fire. Officials said as firefighters responded they could see a large plume of smoke from several blocks away.

When they arrived at the house they found a large fire behind the 2 story building on both floors and in the attic.

Right after they arrived, the firefighters noticed someone was trapped in the house. They began searching under the thick smoke, and determined that the two residents had managed to escape before emergency crews arrived and then went their separate ways, unable to find each other.

A resident was taken to Elgin Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. The second resident refused treatment at the scene.

A Hampshire police officer was also taken to Elgin Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, fire officials said.

Firefighters managed to control the fire around 16:45. Officials said a propane grill on the aft deck caught fire, which then spread quickly up the side of the house and into the attic.

The house was badly damaged by the fire, officials said.

Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All rights reserved.

Related Articles

Back to top button